George Mason is leaving Home and Away, having played bad boy heartthrob Martin ‘Ash’ Ashford since 2014.
It is reported that New Zealander Mason has already filmed his final scenes, with fans now speculating about Ash’s exit storyline from Summer Bay.
Irish fans will have to wait until later this year to see how the plot plays out.
Will there be a happy ending for Ash?
Speaking to Australia’s Daily Telegraph, Mason described working on the show as his “dream job” and said the experience had been “overwhelming”.
He is currently filming a musical, Daffodils, in New Zealand.
Coming up on Home and Away on RTÉ One and RTÉ2 on Friday, Maggie and Ben confess their fears to one another, while Tori reaches out to Robbo.
Take a sneak peek here:
Home and Away continues on RTÉ One at 1:30pm and on RTÉ2 at 6:30pm on Friday, April 13.
Catch up on the latest from Home and Away on the RTÉ Player.
Click here for more soap news and spoilers.
Related Topics: Continue Reading
You may like
Rolling Stones re-release bonanza on the way
Ahead of the second leg of their European tour, which kicks off at Croke Park on May 17, The Rolling Stones and Universal Music have announced the release of The Studio Albums Vinyl Collection 1971-2016.
Released on June 15 and featuring every Rolling Stones studio album from 1971 onwards, the new box set has been sourced from the original master tapes, remastered and cut at half-speed at abbey road studios and pressed on heavyweight 180 gram black vinyl.
The box set features Sticky Fingers (1971), Exile On Main St (1972) (2LP), Goats Head Soup (1973), It’s Only Rock ’n’ Roll (1974, Black And Blue (1976), Some Girls (1978, Emotional Rescue (1980), Tattoo You (1981) , Undercover (1983), Dirty Work (1986) Steel Wheels (1989), Voodoo Lounge (1994) (2LP), Bridges To Babylon (1997) (2LP), A Bigger Bang (2005) (2LP), and Blue & Lonesome (2016) (2LP).
Murphy hopes new movie doesn’t “induce paranoia”
Cillian Murphy has told RTÉ Entertainment how he hopes viewers don’t become paranoid about relationships after watching Mark O’Rowe’s new relationship drama, The Delinquent Season.
The 41-year-old Cork man said O’Rowe’s directorial debut, which focuses on two 40-something Dublin couples and their marital woes, can be looked at from several viewpoints.
Speaking at the movie’s premiere on Wednesday night, Murphy said: “I hope we don’t induce paranoia.”
“I think films like this should ask some questions but I don’t think it’s our duty to give answers.”
“I mean, it’s a film about family and relationships and choice. Most of us have, or will, experience those things in our lives. I’m interested in those kind of stories,” he added.
O’Rowe admits he didn’t have any idea he would end up casting Murphy and his co-stars Andrew Scott, Eva Birthistle and Catherine Walker as the four main characters in his first big screen outing.
“There’s several ways you could tell this story. You could tell it in a very realistic way, with very ordinary people, or as a social realist kind of drama.
“I was kind of toying with that for a while. I couldn’t quite make up my mind about who the characters were and what their world was. It was either this very realistic world or this slightly more theatrical or cinematic world.
Cillian Murphy in Mark O’Rowe’s directorial debut – The Delinquent Season
“It was when Cillian came on board I thought if he is in this, then everyone else has to be on a par with him in terms of beauty or looks, because if they’re not, people will read stuff into it that I really don’t want people reading in to.
“You need four characters who you feel are very much each other’s equal so that the reasons for the betrayal and the infidelity becomes something that we need to dig a bit deeper into to understand,” he added.
The Delinquent Season is released in cinemas on April 27. Read our four star review here
Five singers and dancers to join Ryan For Eurovision
Ireland’s Eurovision Song Contest hopeful Ryan O’Shaugnessy will be backed by five singers and dancers when he performs his song Together at the semi-finals of the competition in Lisbon this May.
Two dancers and three backing singers are set to join O’Shaugnessy and among the names revealed by the singer are Kevin O’Dwyer who performed in the official music video for Together alongside Ryan and former X Factor hopeful Janet Grogan.
Joining Ryan in Lisbon are singers Claire-Ann Varley, Janet Grogan and Remy Anna and dancers O’Dwyer and Alan McGrath.
O’Shaughnessy has previous experience in competing on TV talent shows. Back in 2012 he competed in The Voice of Ireland where he was chosen to be on Brian Kennedy’s team at the blind auditions.
RTÉ and Ryan have not revealed any more details of how they will be staging their performance.
Ryan also auditioned for Britain’s Got Talent with his own song No Name.
The Eurovision Song Contest semi-finals take place in Lisbon, Portugal on Tuesday May 8 and Thursday May 10t with the grand final taking place on Saturday May 12.
Back to the suture: Grey’s Anatomy makes history
US medical drama Grey’s Anatomy has become the longest-running primetime drama in ABC history following the announcement that the network has renewed the show for a 15th season.
Only seven dramas in the history of television have had more seasons.
Speaking at the announcement of the news Channing Dungey, President of ABC Entertainment, said, “Grey’s Anatomy has a special place in my heart and millions of viewers feel the same way.
Grey to go!
“Thanks to fiercely loyal fans who have been on this journey since the beginning, and new generations of viewers who continue to discover the joy and drama of Grey Sloan Memorial, the show is as strong as ever.”
The 14th season of the show, which has aired on RTÉ television since its first season, was ABC’s No. 1 drama among Adults 18-49, ranking among the Top 5 broadcast series on TV, and is tied with ABC’s The Good Doctor as the No. 2 broadcast drama.
The Golden Globe and Emmy winning drama follows Meredith Grey (Ellen Pompeo) and the team of doctors at Grey Sloan Memorial, who are faced with life-or-death decisions on a daily basis.
BBC: Sir Cliff coverage was in ‘public interest’
By Russell Hope, News Reporter
A senior BBC journalist has told a High Court judge that the corporation had a public interest responsibility to cover a police search of Sir Cliff Richard’s home.
Fran Unsworth, the BBC’s director of news and current affairs, authorised the coverage of the South Yorkshire Police search of the singer’s apartment in Sunningdale, Berkshire in August 2014.
Ms Unsworth told Mr Justice Mann that, while she knew the story would cause “distress” to Sir Cliff, it was “in the public interest” and said: “That remains my view.”
She said: “I took the view, and still do, that we had a responsibility in the public interest to report this whilst still being sensitive to the position of Sir Cliff.
“The BBC has publicly said it is very sorry that Sir Cliff suffered distress and that remains the position,” she added.
Asked whether helicopter footage showing the inside of Sir Cliff’s home was intrusive and akin to “spying”, Ms Unsworth said that Sir Cliff was not in the property and that “shots were of policemen and quite blurred”.
“I reject the term spying because we weren’t spying,” she said. “Spying is something done surreptitiously and there is nothing surreptitious about a helicopter.”
She said when she saw the footage after it had been broadcast it did not strike her as “particularly intrusive”.
In a witness statement, the former chief constable of South Yorkshire Police said he had found BBC footage of the raid “intrusive”.
David Crompton, who was head of the force at the time, said: “I had thought that there may be some limited footage of my officers going into Sir Cliff Richard’s property.
“What I saw was much more extensive and I thought it was intrusive.”
Sir Cliff, 77, has said the coverage “smeared” his name and is suing the corporation, demanding damages at the “top end” of the scale.
:: Sir Cliff Richard vs BBC – the day in court
The BBC disputes his claim that its coverage was a “very serious invasion” of his privacy.
Ms Unsworth said: “The BBC reported the police search of Sir Cliff’s apartment and its investigation in a factually accurate manner and reported the early status of the investigation.”
South Yorkshire Police were investigating an historic sexual assault allegation against Sir Cliff, who was not arrested or charged as the result of the inquiry.
“The BBC’s reporting prominently featured Sir Cliff’s full denial of the allegations as soon as the denial had been issued,” Ms Unsworth said.
More from UK
LIVE: Court rejects legal bid to take Alfie to Italy
Timeline: The fight to keep Alfie Evans alive
Mum Michelle Pearson told all her four children died in December fire
Royal baby: Prince William jokes about ‘strong name’ after new son’s birth
TSB digital platforms back but gremlins remain after IT disaster
Why TSB’s troubles are a cautionary tale for British banks
She admitted she was influenced by other similar cases, such as those of Jimmy Savile and Rolf Harris, and argued that, if the BBC had not reported on South Yorkshire Police’s action, it might have been accused of ignoring a public interest story because the subject was a famous celebrity.
Ms Unsworth said it was the first time the BBC had named an individual before arrest in connection with a minor, but added that “we understood he would have been arrested if at the property”.