TV presenter Ant McPartlin has been charged with drink driving, the Metropolitan Police have confirmed.
It follows his arrest after a collision on Sunday involving three vehicles in south-west London, where minor injuries were recorded.
Mr McPartlin attended Kingston police station on Wednesday, where he was interviewed under caution.
The presenter will appear at Wimbledon Magistrates’ Court on 4 April.
Image copyright PA Image caption Mr McPartlin was seen leaving his house in west London earlier on Wednesday
The TV star could face up to six months in prison, an unlimited fine and a minimum driving ban of a year, if found guilty.
Police said a 42-year-old man was arrested at the scene of the incident after failing a roadside breathalyser test.
Mr McPartlin’s publicist subsequently confirmed the presenter would be taking time off from his TV commitments “for the foreseeable future” and would seek further treatment.
He entered rehab in June 2017, after developing an addiction to prescription painkillers following a knee operation in 2015. He later said he was “overwhelmed” by the public support.
Image copyright PA Image caption Donnelly (right) has co-hosted the show with McPartlin since 2002
Meanwhile, ITV confirmed on Wednesday that Declan Donnelly will present Saturday Night Takeaway on his own for the rest of this series.
This Saturday’s show was cancelled after Mr McPartlin’s arrest, but the following two episodes, which will air on 31 March and 7 April, will now be presented solo by Donnelly.
Skip Twitter post by @antanddec
— antanddec (@antanddec) March 21, 2018
End of Twitter post by @antanddec
Ant McPartlin steps down from TV roles Dec to present Takeaway without Ant Where next for Ant and Dec? Related Topics: Continue Reading
You may like
Sex trafficking bill makes Craiglist axe personal ads
Craigslist has dropped personal advertisements after Congress passed a law making websites liable for promoting sex trafficking and prostitution.
The Fight Online Sex Trafficking Act (FOSTA) drops legal protection for websites that “unlawfully promote and facilitate prostitution and websites that facilitate traffickers in advertising the sale of unlawful sex acts with sex trafficking victims”.
It also makes website liable for content their users post.
In order to stay above the law, Craigslist has taken the decision to close its personal ads service – ensuring the tool cannot be misused.
A statement from Craigslist said: “We can’t take such risk without jeopardising all our other services, so we are regretfully taking Craigslist personals offline. Hopefully we can bring them back some day.
“To the millions of spouses, partners, and couples who met through Craigslist, we wish you every happiness!”
It was initially thought the missed connections section, which reunites people who met briefly or shared glances, was to be removed too, but Craigslist appears to still be running them.
Reddit has also banned its sex worker sub-reddits, such as its escort pages.
A statement on the website’s policy announcement page read: “As of today, users may not use Reddit to solicit or facilitate any transaction or gift involving certain goods and services, including paid services involving physical sexual contact.”
The decision has been met with anger from many people, including sex workers.
Amber Ashton tweeted: “This is going to hurt the most marginalised struggling workers the hardest and I’m in actual tears about it.
More from Science & Tech
Apple proposes 13 new emojis to represent people with disabilities
Data row firm Cambridge Analytica’s offices raided after court order
Cambridge Analytica does not spell end of Facebook
Elon Musk deletes Tesla and SpaceX Facebook pages after calls from privacy campaigners
Musk set for $50bn pay package at Tesla
Sky Views: Facebook – the modern Frankenstein
“Time to stratigise how we can help those who will need it most.”
Another Twitter user posted: “If you think this isn’t a move towards shutting down, not only sex workers, but ‘sexual deviant relationships’ of all kinds (queer, interracial, casual sex, non-monogamous, etc) then you are naive, my friend.”
March For Our Lives: US set for mass rallies to back gun control Media playback is unsupported on your deviceMedia captionWhy this mass shooting is different – the evidence
Hundreds of thousands of Americans are gathering for nationwide rallies in support of tighter gun control.
March For Our Lives grew out of a movement calling for change after 17 people were killed by a gunman at a high school in Florida last month.
On Friday, the White House said it would ban bump stocks, which give semi-automatic guns rapid-fire capability.
But many activists are calling for more extensive legislation.
The main march is taking place in Washington DC, with more than 800 sister protests taking place across the country and around the world, including London, Edinburgh, Geneva and Sydney.
March For Our Lives: Live updates
Organisers have said it may become “standing room only” in Washington, as the swelling crowds could make it hard to move. The march there begins at 12:00 local time (16:00 GMT).
Participants want to seize on public outrage in the wake of the 14 February massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland to convince US politicians to finally take decisive action, including by banning the sale of assault weapons.
However, the issue divides Americans. The right to bear arms is protected under the 2nd amendment of the US constitution and the National Rifle Association (NRA) gun lobby remains highly influential.
The teenagers taking on the US gun lobby Why I’m marching on Washington America’s gun culture in 10 charts
Organisers say up to half a million people could rally in Washington DC, which would make it the largest protest since last year’s women’s march. The singer Ariana Grande and Lin-Manuel Miranda, the man behind hit musical Hamilton, are set to perform.
Image copyright EPA Image caption No guns are allowed on the march route in Washington DC Image copyright EPA Image caption Students gather on Washington’s Pennsylvania Avenue ahead of the march
“This issue is going to turn into the No 1 issue in this country. I know that’s not only what I want, but I know it’s what you guys want,” Marjory Stoneman Douglas student, Alfonso Calderon, told students in Washington on Thursday, ahead of the march.
Some 69% of Americans think gun laws should be tightened, according to a new poll by the Associated Press and the NORC Center for Public Affairs Research, up from 61% in October 2016.
What do young conservatives think?
What’s happened since Parkland?
After pressure from students, Florida passed a gun control law that raises the legal age for buying rifles in the state but also allows the arming of school staff. The NRA sued the state, saying the law was unconstitutional In February, President Trump urged lawmakers to work on bipartisan legislation, accusing them of being “petrified” of the NRA. He supported raising the minimum age for gun purchases but later appeared to back away from that proposal. The White House says he wants to focus on measures that can get through Congress, like improved background checks. He has also backed arming some teachers Several major companies cut ties with the NRA amid a #BoycottNRA campaign, while chains like Walmart and Dick’s Sporting Goods announced new restrictions on gun sales Earlier this month, students and school staff commemorated the Florida school shooting with a mass walkout Media playback is unsupported on your deviceMedia captionMarjory Stoneman Douglas students “excited and nervous” for Washington rally Continue Reading
Massive incomplete TV tower in Russia demolished Continue Reading
Buckets of rocks placed in schools to stop shootings
A Pennsylvania school district has placed buckets of rocks in all 200 of its classrooms to be used in the event of a mass shooting.
The Blue Mountain School District in Orwigsburg has also installed security cameras, secured building entrances and fortified classroom doors in an attempt to thwart future attacks.
Superintendent David Helsel said: “We didn’t want our students to be helpless victims.
“River stones were my idea. I thought they would be more effective than throwing books or book bags or staplers.”
February’s massacre of 17 pupils and teachers at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, sparked fresh debate in the US about how to prevent school shootings.
Hundreds of thousands of Americans joined rallies in Washington and around the world on Saturday calling for tighter gun laws in March For Our Lives protests organised by survivors of the Valentine’s Day attack.
Image: The Marjory Stoneman Douglas massacre sparked debate on how to prevent school shootings
Superintendent Helsel said the idea of equipping classrooms came from his reading of the active-shooter defence programme known as ALICE – Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter, Evacuate.
He said his school board approved the rock buckets before they were put in the classrooms at the district’s five schools.
Parents in Orwigsburg, about 92 miles northwest of Philadelphia, have been mostly supportive, he said.
More from United States
LIVE: March For Our Lives – Protests demand tighter gun laws in US
Senate passes bill to avert third US govt shutdown this year
‘Smart and happy’: Who was Texas serial bomber Mark Anthony Conditt?
Justine Damond murder: US policeman Mohamed Noor charged
Fifth explosion in Texas as serial bomber hunted
Donald Trump plans death penalty for drug traffickers
Robert Conroy, director of organising with gun control group CeaseFirePA, said: “We should be talking about real reform of gun laws.
“It is so unbelievably tragic that our society has come to a point where schools have to arm themselves with buckets of rocks to defend them against active shooters.”
Yellowstone volcano eruption ALERT: Supervolcanic HEAT comes from DEEPER underground
YELLOWSTONE volcano could erupt any time and “wipe out western America”, scientists have warned as it emerged the supervolcanic heat comes from deeper underground after scientists found an anomaly.