Andrew Scott has said there was “no rivalry” with his Sherlock co-star Benedict Cumberbatch over their performances as Hamlet on the London stage.
Cumberbatch was acclaimed for his role as the Danish prince in 2015, with Scott earning the plaudits for his portrayal last year. Both received Olivier Award nominations for Best Actor for their performances.
Benedict Cumberbatch and Andrew Scott in Sherlock
In an interview with The Guardian, Scott was asked if there had been any rivalry between himself and Cumberbatch, given that they played Hamlet so soon after each other.
“There was no rivalry,” the Dublin actor replied. “It has to be your own thing, you have to bring who you are to it – so it shouldn’t be similar.”
Scott described his experience of starring in Hamlet as “extraordinary”.
Both Scott and Cumberbatch were Olivier Award-nominated for their performances as Hamlet
“I’m still absorbing it,” he continued. “After I finished, two weeks later I did King Lear: I had a Shakes-year, boom-boom.
“But it’s the stamina. Sometimes I thought I can’t do it – three hours and 50 minutes, twice on a Wednesday and Saturday. And it’s not light material; you have to go to a dark place.”
Scott added that he wanted his Hamlet “to be engaging for people who’d never seen it before”.
“Rob Icke [director] and I wanted it to be a play that would ignite our 14-year-old selves,” Scott explained. “And the big thing was to try to speak the language in as conversational a way as possible. To attack the play for what it is rather than what you think it is – because it’s so famous. I do think it is the greatest play ever written.”
Scott’s most recent film, the Irish domestic drama The Delinquent Season, has just been released on demand.
He told RTÉ Entertainment at the IFTAs earlier this year that he would like to work in Ireland “as much as I possibly could”.
Related Topics: Continue Reading
You may like
Look! Eva Longoria has given birth to her first child
Eva Longoria has welcomed her first child into the world, a bouncing baby boy called Santiago Enrique Bastón.
The 43-year-old actress and her husband Jose Baston, who goes by the surname Pepe, confirmed their baby joy in December.
Santiago was born at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles and weighed in at 6 lbs and 13 oz.
The Desperate Housewives actress shared an adorable snap with HOLA! USA along with releasing the adorable name of her new arrival.
EXCLUSIVA MUNDIAL #HOLAUSA#EvaLongoria ya es mamá!
Eva y su esposo #PepeBastón, nos comparten los detalles y la primera foto de su bebé: Santiago Enrique Bastón. https://t.co/6S8x5IAmmg pic.twitter.com/FJOxCmwnkB
— HOLA! USA (@USAHOLA) June 20, 2018
Longoria, who is already stepmother to Jose’s three children – Natalia, 22; and twins Mariana & Jose, 14 – from his first marriage to Natalia Esperón, said she is “enjoying” parenthood.
“We have three children already, I have three stepchildren so it’s not like it’s anything new,” Eva told the magazine.
“We are enjoying it.”
The Devious Maids star had been documenting her pregnancy on Instagram, sharing details of her bump and cravings.
For more television news and TV listings click here
Carrie Fisher’s brother wants her in next Star Wars
Carrie Fisher’s brother, Todd, has revealed he would love to see his late sister continue to appear in the Star Wars franchise.
The actress, who died aged 60 in 2016 following a heat attack, played the iconic Princess Leia in five films.
Fisher starred in the 1977 original, its sequel The Empire Strikes Back in 1980, and then again in 1983’s Return Of The Jedi.
In 2012 following Disney’s acquisition of the franchise, Fisher reprised her role, starring in 2015’s The Force Awakens and its 2017 follow-up, The Last Jedi.
Despite her death, Fisher’s brother, Todd Fisher, hopes to see her make an appearance in 2019’s Star Wars: Episode IX.
Carrie Fisher on the set of Star Wars: Episode IV – A New Hope written, directed and produced by George Lucas
He said: “I want her to (appear again). I have my own opinion on that. Disney of course spent the billions to decide but, ultimately, from the brother’s standpoint, I would love to see Carrie come back.
“She never really left. If you look at the heart of what Star Wars is about, it’s very much about the Jedi way and the spirituality of the Jedi. And how this life is just a prelude to the next.
Carrie and Todd Fisher with their mother, Debbie Reynolds in 2001
“Her legacy will live on and could potentially be stronger and if they chose to embrace that it could be awesome.
“You’ll notice that little Yoda came back because Yoda carries the philosophy of the story, so for him to reoccur is cool.
“I just don’t know, why not Carrie?”
Last year Disney said they would not digitally recreate Fisher in any upcoming Star War movies.
Click here for more movie news and reviews
Ruth Negga says she is a “wallflower” in real life
Oscar-nominated actress Ruth Negga has said that she is “a wallflower in real life” but an “attention seeker” when it comes to acting.
The Loving star appeared on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert in New York where she opened up about how she uses daring fashion choices to distract from her at-times introverted personality.
When Colbert complimented her “arresting” dragon print dress, she responded with a laugh: “I try and hide the fact that I’m lacking in a personality by wearing dragon prints.
“I suppose fashion is an armour for nerves. And I think there’s a lot of shy people involved in fashion although people seem sort of flamboyant but I think it hides a shyness.”
When the talkshow hosted asked her if she is shy, she said: “Most definitely. If you felt my heart now it’s going like the clappers!”
Acting might not seem like the most natural fit for a shy person, but the former Love/Hate star says that filming creates a “safe space” to express herself.
“I suppose I’m a shy attention seeker”, she said. “I suppose I’m a wallflower in real life but acting creates a very safe space where you can draw attention to you, but there’s always action and cuts so it’s like a safety net of sorts where you can be an attention seeker but in a very safe way.
“Basically, cowardly”, the Irish-Ethiopian star joked.
Negga is returning to TV screens as Tulip O’Hare in the third season of the AMC supernatural thriller Preacher in which she stars alongside Dominic Cooper.
Dominic Cooper and Ruth Negga returning for the third season of Preacher
Click here for more television news.
Victoria Beckham defends marriage at women’s summit
Victoria Beckham praised her husband David Beckham saying she has the “support of an incredible husband” while admitting that she is trying to “be the best wife and the best professional”.
Speaking at Forbes Women’s Summit in New York, the 44-year-old singer-turned-fashion designer, defended her marriage amid claims that she was heading for a divorce after 19 years of marriage.
“I have the support of an incredible husband”, she said. “We really are equal with everything we do at home with the children. When I’m away he’s the one doing the school run and doing the cooking.”
When asked how she balances her busy work life, the former Spice Girl and mum-of-four said she tries to put her all into her family.
“I try really, really hard. I try hardest to be the best mother…”
“I am trying to be the best wife and the best professional. When I get home I try to put the phone down and spend time with the children and spend time with David.”
Victoria reportedly banned photos of her at the event which celebrates powerful women.
It was recently revealed that the Spice Girls reunion tour was called off as Victoria aka ‘Posh Spice’ refused to take part.
Declan O’Rourke reveals why he won’t perform for Pope
Declan O’Rourke said he refused an invitation to perform for the Pope when he visits Ireland in August because he wouldn’t have been allowed to acknowledge victims of clerical abuse.
The Dublin singer-songwriter was approached to take part in a concert in Croke Park on August 25 which is being organised as part of Pope Francis’s visit and said it presented a “moral dilemma”. However, O’Rourke said he had to turn down the offer as he wanted to stick to his principles.
Speaking on RTÉ Radio One’s Liveline, O’Rourke said: “I got an email asking about my availability and would I be willing to be involved.
“That was a bit shocking at the start. I had a moral dilemma to say the least.
“I’m not a religious person, no disrespect to anyone else’s beliefs. But, you know, I feel the Catholic church is responsible for so much suffering in this country. And I felt that you know if there was going to be a big ordeal made of family and everything, that some kind of gesture would have to be made.”
The musician went on to say that he wanted to use the performance as an “acknowledgement” of victims of clerical abuse.
“I would have used my performance, I suppose as a platform for that purpose somehow. Not disrespectfully. But just in solidarity, you know?” he told host Joe Duffy.
“I would have just said this goes out on behalf, in acknowledgement, of the victims of clerical abuse around this country.”
O’Rourke said that while he initially agreed to play the concert, once he realised that he wouldn’t be able to play his own music, he decided to withdraw from the line-up.
“After weighing it all up, I decided to say yes to the point where something put me off and I’ll just pull out.
“The next thing was a phone call to discuss how it would run and basically they asked me to take part in the performance of one song, it would have been singing a song with Finbar Furey and Shane MacGowan.
“It was Rainy Night In Soho, which is a beautiful song and they’re two absolute heroes of mine but it wasn’t my song… there was no room for any of my songs. They said it was a very tightly scripted two hour show.
“If I wasn’t going to get to do what I wanted to do in at least playing some of my music and making that statement somehow, which they wouldn’t have allowed of course.”
After discussing his decision with several close family members, he feels it was the right one for him.
“You have to have your principles and I believe that standing up there and taking part in that concert if you didn’t make the right acknowledgement of those victims would be wrong.”
Listen back to the full interview on Liveline here.